View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
It isn't racist. Trump is undoubtedly so, however, and decent people are concerned he will use his racist views to inform his policy. Decent people (which excludes Trump and his apologists) don't believe that merit is race-based, but are justifiably concerned that Trump does. In the words of conservative Michael Gerson:
There you go again. Folks will believe what they want to believe, and to support your position you go get a quote from "conservative" Gerson, glossing over the fact that Gerson is an ardent anti-Trumper. You could have stopped with your first sentence, but you chose to bury your first sentence in an anti-Trump rant.

Its apparently more important to the folks that want an immigration status quo to attack the administration attempting to modify the status quo than it is to have a debate about merit based immigration (or any changes to the current system for that matter. To me, this is a waste of time and unproductive. Trump's not going anywhere. I suspect you might have figured this out after a year. So, there's a choice to be made. Either spend the next 3 years pursuing something that isn't going to happen, or try to get some things done.

There are some opportunities with immigration. There are actual areas of agreement between both parties. For example. I think both parties want a solution to the so called Dreamers issue. No one want to see kids put at risk. But, I don't think its irresponsible to similarly prioritize border security.

I think some folks need to grow up. This includes the folks that may have made distasteful comments in the setting of a private discussion, the folks that either leaked the comments to leaked a salacious version of those comments in support of their own agenda, or folks who obsess about those alleged comments in the extreme.