View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Do you expect this be the conclusion?

I don't see that either side wants to start a shooting war.

2010 will be interesting.

Chas
Well, none of the politicians, perhaps. And I don't believe many average Americans want to see any violence. I know I don't. Personally, you may disagree, but I don't believe anyone in the present day left would resort to such a thing.

But, I have to say in all seriousness Charles, that I have to agree with John.

I have heard some disturbing stuff coming from the mouths of people I know.
I personally know people who went out and bought more guns and ammo after Obama was elected, because they're waiting for "the shooting to start".
Not hear-say, but coming from coworkers, neighbors, friends and family.
Then I watch and listen to what people like Palin, Beck, and Hannity are telling them and it doesn't take much of a stretch at all to see where it's coming from.

I believe these people are pushing the bounds of ethical behavior. There are ways for everyone to speak their minds without fomenting hatred. When a politician or pundit fails to discourage hateful violent speech they are, by default, encouraging it. The old "Well, I didn't tell them to say that." dodge doesn't hold any water. Allowing it to go on at a rally or a meeting without at least asking people to be civil is as good as condoning it, as far as I'm concerned.

And these guys are "testing the fences" everyday. Just because I'm a lefty doesn't mean I don't listen in on Limbaugh, Boortz, et al. Back in my Republican days I listened to these guys all of the time. Then they mostly used reason. But I heard it gradually evolving towards demonization, villification, and belittlement until I could no longer stand it. That was ten years ago. Now it has gotten completely absurd, IMHO. And it needs to stop.
They can still speak their minds without all of the theatrics and derogatory hyperbole, people have been doing that for thousands of years.

Have a clementine evening!

Dave