View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
My wife and I were such a couple about ten or so years ago. in our mid to late 20's and sick of renting. Still knew how much money we made and what we had to spend. This was when housing was going up and fast.

We could have taken much more money than the $70K we took ($100K home with 30% down) but again, I knew exactly what we brought in each month, or other bills and what the house payment would be just like any other person or couple going to buy a house. The lender makes you spell it all out for them so there is no claim of ignorance that is viable here.

Simply put, it's folks knowing exactly where they are at financially (you have to just to apply for the loan) then deciding to gamble their lives on that extra couple of sq ft or that extra $10K to go on a vacation or buy a car or........
Then this is the part that you have missed, it was the brokers and the lenders that falsified the borrowers financial capabilities. I forget the exact terminology, but it was a case of no verify or no data. That is why I excoriate the brokers and lenders. Sure the honest ones go over your income with a fine tooth comb, these jokers did not.