Thread: Chevy Volt
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 09:16 PM

Well driving the Volt is interesting to say the least. When I worked at the research lab I helped build two electric cars, but that was back in the 1980s when the industry was still working on the power electronics. Creature comforts such as throttle feel were not even a consideration. For example I built the "throttles" on those old cars. The throttles were nothing more than crude pots strung to the accelerator pedals.

When I backed the Volt out of its parking space I was pleasantly surprised by the pedal feel. I was worried that I would have to tip into the throttle to back out and risk banging it up in tight quarters. No such thing happened. Instead I lifted my foot from the brake pedal and the software gently rolled the car backwards just as if it had a gasoline engine and an automatic trans. It felt natural which is all one can ask for.

Later tonight I took my family for a ride. This time I had to back the car up our driveway which is on an incline. That time I lifted my foot and the car sat still. I had to gently tip into the throttle so that the car would slowly back up the hill. Again it felt natural.

So far I have driven about 10 miles on battery power. The guage says I have 15 miles remaining which isn't bad considering my driving was at night with lights and heat on. Tomorrow morning I expect to burn more juice with the defroster and the battery will probably be dead by the time I get back to the office. After that I will drive it on engine power and see how it does.

This hybrid electrical stuff is pretty interesting. I've written a few patents on the technology over the past ten years but this is my first time behind the wheel. It is fun to experience the things I have been writing about.