View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
The reason Germany is cutting subsidies to promote solar energy is because the program has become too successful. They fear is that it will collapse the commercial power grids that are still needed for the efficient transfer of electric power throughout Germany. The solar program was so successful Germany announced last year that they are phasing out all of their nuclear power plants.

When battery storage technology improves it will make solar power more feasible in states like MI. Generate when it is sunny and draw from the battery power when it is cloudy. This is not fiction. I have a friend who's off the grid using solar panels and storage batteries. He has an NG whole house generator for emergencies. It was very expensive to set up. Literally in the millions of dollars, but it is a multi-million dollar house. He is one of the pioneers that will help advance alternative energy sources. He is constantly upgrading to newer technology. He is not really off the grid. He still has commercial power. He is feeding excess power into the commercial grid almost everyday. Here you do not get paid for the power you feed into the commercial grid. You get a credit on your bill. Since he has no bill he is providing electricity to AEP for free. Seems like it is a nice bonus AEP lobbied for.

On thing you are missing MM is that the power grid is not local. We could build thousands of acres of solar panels in the deserts of the US and generate a massive amount of power for the grid that could be used to power homes and business' in MI.

Alternative energy is very feasible. We just have to get over the "it can't work here" mentality. Look at Iowa. It is awash with wind power generators and the last time I was there, four years ago, they were building a huge transmission line to gather the power and feed it into the grid.

As far as the OP, Fox News is a bunch of idiots. What that woman said is bullsh!t. You can't put lipstick on that pig.
I'm all for turning that POS backwards state of Arizona into one big solar collector. Asshole Arizona minutemen can move to Michigan and join their dipshit militias...