View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I was a methodist (United Church in Canada), Florence was RC, we no longer attend church since it iss our personal opinion that the churches have more interest themselves as organizations than they do in teaching. I have briefly studied other religions and found some interesting thoughts, Frex "That which is unpleasant to you, do not to your neighbor. That is the whole law and the rest but it's exposition" from Rabbi Hillel.

It was fairly late in life when I realized that to love thy neighbour as thyself implicity requires that you love yourself, elso loving others is impossible. I did not learn any of that in any church. Thuogh when I was attending standards meetings or lecturing abroad I would go to evensong - just to hear the organ, the king of instruments.
I too was raised Methodist. As you did, I also briefly studied other religions. One thing that struck me were the similarities between the teachings of Christ and those of Bhudda. Obviously there are differences, reincarnation, for example is not accepted in Christianity. But all of the basic daily life type lessons are the same. An excellent book that illustrates this is "Living Bhudda, Living Christ". Google it up. Another is "Bhudda and Jesus as Brothers".

Dave