View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Reality is this: via the most recent census, <5% of the population of the United States can trace their lineage back to something other than a parallel to "anchor baby" status. (I am one of them.)

Those who, now, oppose the broad 14th Amendment are just hypocrites.

Seriously. If direct ancestors did not meet the Mayflower from the shore, these folks need a warm glass of STFU.
Count me as a hypocrite, I guess.

I know many folks frame the open borders argument in these terms. However, using the "we're all immigrants, so open the borders" argument, and the emotionalism attached to it, doesn't really withstand scrutiny.

None of my grandparents were born in the USA. They came to the US from Canada or Great Britain. However, there was a process then, as there is now, to apply for and be granted resident status or citizenship status.

A country has every right to control its borders. It is the first order of business for a government to protect and control its borders, and manage the influx of visitors, and potential short term or long term residents. Countries do this to protect the current population / citizenry, and well as manage the social and economic impact of immigration. The US currently does an inadequate job of managing immigration and managing ingress. This is central to the complaint of many current US citizens.

That said, I don't disagree that the fixing the lack of current border control should focus on the Anchor Baby issue. Frankly, I think it is a distraction to the real issue of border control.