View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Loyal Opposition

Thank God for the Religious Right

What happened in New York's 23rd congressional district has been happening in my district for several years. To state the obvious, Kansas has been a consistently red state for years. I am one of the people who bring down the percapita income of Johnson County, which houses a several financial firms and some high tech businesses and serves as a bedroom community for the professionals and management officials who work in Kansas City, MO. One might expect Johnson County to be a pretty reliable place for republican votes.

For at least the last ten yeary (more I think) we have had a democratic congressman in this district - Dennis Moore. The national GOP regularly targets this seat as one they think they can take over. The problem is that the right wingers who are taking over the national GOP have already taken over the Kanas GOP. Each time they put up a candidate on the right fringe of american politics. Therefore, this economically republican district regularly delivers a democrat to congress because the professionals living here don't all buy into the social, we're gonna watch what you do in your bedroom, conservatism.

So as to not overstate my point, I should also point out that this district also takes in Wyandotte County, a considerably less affluent county, and Lawrence Kansas, where all of those liberal eggheads gather.

I see the same thing happening to the national GOP, with the possibility that Sarah Palin becomes the voice of the party. The more she and the others pull the party to the right, the better chance that the democrats will retain the presidency and gain more seats in congress. God bless the religious right.

Regards,

D-Ray