View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Are you actually challenging the fact that Trump responds favorably to people who speak favorably of him and lashes out at those who criticize him? Really?
Where did I lose you, Finn? Do I need to type slower so you can follow along?

Frankly, I don't give a shit about Trump's interpersonal style, as you seem to be (re?)focusing on above. Here's our discussion for your review. Maybe this will help you understand.

Chickie said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Apple Inc. announced a series of plans Wednesday that were celebrated as promises to hire thousands of workers and bring home all of its overseas cash.

Well, not necessarily.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ap...ash-2018-01-17
The Marketwatch article appears to want to parse the phrase "creating new jobs", suggesting that those jobs could be outside the US, or at other companies beside Apple.

Then you responded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I think this is yet another example of a corporate CEO's blowing smoke up Trump's ass so that he'll have a favorable impression of them as in the Carrier deal.
So, you're trying to create some moral equivalence between a 700 jobs at Carrier being retained versus 20000 new jobs at Apple. Pretty big stretch, but hey, that's never stopped you before.

However, the Marketwatch article has lots of issues (dare I say fake news). Here's what CNBC says:

Apple said it's opening a new campus in the U.S. as part of a plan to pour billions of dollars into the domestic economy.

"The company plans to establish an Apple campus in a new location, which will initially house technical support for customers," Apple said in a statement Wednesday. "The location of this new facility will be announced later in the year."

The tech giant said more broadly that it plans to contribute $350 billion to the U.S. economy over the next five years.

Apple just finished $5 billion of renovations to its headquarters in Cupertino, California, and is now gearing up to expand its reach and its workforce.

So, contrary to Marketwatch, CNBC states that the jobs created will - either in full or in part - staff their new campus which has yet to be built but WILL be located in the US.

You said that all of this was simply "yet another example of a corporate CEO's blowing smoke up Trump's ass so that he'll have a favorable impression of them as in the Carrier deal."

You said it, I didn't. Whatever I think, or you think, about Trump's interpersonal communications, you're suggesting that Tim Cook and company are willing to spend billions to avoid having Trump mad at them. Sorry, the world isn't populated by snowflakes (like you?) who cringe and cower at the thought of someone saying mean things to them.