View Single Post
Old 01-09-2021, 07:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Thought this might be a good companion to the music thread, so long as we can keep the arguments out. It might be difficult given the subject nature of some of the books, but I figured it was worth a try.

I just finished "Winner Takes All" an excellent book on politics as it relates to the economy of the last thirty years. Recommended for anyone who can take the truth, warts and all.

Next in the queue is "Someplace like America" by Dale Maharidge, This is a followup to his 1985 book "Journey to Nowhere". Dale and his photographer have been following a homeless Vietnam veteran and his brother, people displaced and disenfranchised by industrial decline and natural disasters (Katrina), their varied stories of desperation, hope, failures and in some cases success in overcoming difficulties. But, it's more about the journey than it is the outcome. It covers an America many of us have never seen.

After that, "The Closing of the American Mind".

Dave
Having just finished John Grisham's "A Time For Mercy" (part of the Ford County Jake Bergance series that this time really left us hanging) I'm about 1/4 through "The Law Of Innocence" by Michael Connelly.

Some of you might remember The Lincoln Lawyer, the 2005 movie with Matthew McConaughey. The Mickey Haller series included The Brass Verdict, The Reversal, The Fifth Witness, The Gods Of Guilt. Mickey is an LA defense attorney famous for getting a lot of killers off. In The Law Of Innocence, he has been framed for a heinous murder of a former client.

Those of you who might be following the Harry Bosch series on Amazon might want to note that Mickey Haller is Bosch's half brother.