View Single Post
Old 04-07-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
I don't think so. I don't know for sure. I thought the president could only use military force in the event of imminent attack on the US. Otherwise it required the approval of congress. I know it got muddied when Bush wanted to attack Iraq, but I didn't think it was change.
http://www.kfvs12.com/story/35093233...thout-congress

""The War Powers Resolution, enacted in 1973, long after American troops began fighting in Vietnam, required the president to consult with Congress before sending U.S. armed forces into combat unless there already had been a declaration of war. The troops could not stay more than 90 days unless lawmakers backed the decision. The law also sought to give the president "leeway to respond to attacks or other emergencies," according to the Council on Foreign Relations.

And it is that leeway that presidents George W. Bush, Barack Obama and now Trump have used to their advantage.""

I suspect very little push back will happen as long as the results are positive. Especially today when the final branch of our government is handed over to the right.

Barney