View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Area Man

I restate for those who are relative newcomers here.

I hesitate to post in education forums because, unfortunately, I have no dogs in that fight. (Although I do pay for it, regardless.)

My comments were directed at the public vs. private issue.

Flac, I understand where you're coming from. However, I look at it this way;

I see the ever increasing marriage between government and the corporate world.
I hear the arguments for giving corporations more freedom and reducing the influence of government in our lives. Quite often these arguments, at face value, actually make good sense...........Then I go to work and watch how the corporate buffoons do things, and DON'T get fired, or punished in any way. As a matter of fact, most of the time they close ranks, find a scapegoat to blame and protect each other no matter how bad they f**k up. Practically have to murder someone in front of a t.v. camera to get fired. Anybody who has worked for large corporations for most of their life should know precisely what I am talking about.

Imperfect as it is, at least in a Democracy I have my one little vote to use for/against politicians. I can speak out against my public leaders and not lose my income. In the corporate world no one, outside the boardroom, gets to vote for anyone or anything. And rarely, if ever, does anyone get to buck authority. It's top down oligarchy......a "Good ol' Boy network" far more tightly knit than Congress or the Whitehouse will ever be.

Run the government like a business?

Not if I have anything to say about it.

As I see it, the problem is that we have gotten too far from Democracy.
To far from Lincolns "...government of the people, by the people and for the people..."

Let the corporatists take over and watch what happens. Heck, some would say we're already there.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 07-07-2011 at 12:41 PM.