View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Ready

Fox Brainwash Techniques

This is from about a year ago, but it's an excellent summary:

Fourteen Propaganda Techniques Fox "News" Uses to Brainwash Americans

Of particular interest to me was the author's discussion of the results of long-term exposure to this stuff:

Quote:
In debating some of these tactics with colleagues and friends, I have also noticed that the Fox viewership seems to be marked by a sort of collective personality disorder whereby the viewer feels almost as though they've been let into a secret society. Something about their affiliation with the network makes them feel privileged and this affinity is likely what drives the viewers to defend the network so vehemently. They seem to identify with it at a core level, because it tells them they are special and privy to something the rest of us don't have. It's akin to the loyalty one feels by being let into a private club or a gang. That effect is also likely to make the propaganda more powerful, because it goes mostly unquestioned.
I wioukl describe these effects as 'gnostic minority syndrome.' The individual identity becomes linked to 'membership' in a group seen as possessing special knowledge, and they therefore see themselves as apart and superior from 'ordinary people.' This status is gained and maintained by following Fox 'opinion leaders,' who thus gain great authority from being the suppliers of this benefit.

I'm not sure why the right is able to exploit this syndrome so well, while the left is not....