View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 10:39 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Rob, I've read that there were quite a few Americans that became Canadians after the rebellion in 1776. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Or did your ancestors come straight to Canada from Europe?

Noone, that did it, now I'm going to fly the reb flag next to my don't tread on me flag

Pete
He was a distant cousin, also named Robert whose wife died in childbirth. Then their daughter died before the age of ten. He pretty much disappeared from Lincolnshire. The age and description match so we assume he emigrated to the US.

My Dad emigrated to Canada in 1908 but I had a great great great uncle who emigrated to Canada and the big family farm is still there in Northern Ontario. So of the forty or so families of my surname in Canada they are direct family or cousins.

A brother of that great great great uncle (I assume) joined the Mormon church and emigrated to the US. Contracted cholera on the steamer up the Mississippi from New Orleans to St. Louis. He dies a month after landing but his children went on. Now I can bet that anyone with my surname west of the Mississippi is a cousin.

The ones on the east coast are from Cheshire (mostly) and since some were slave owners I have no desire to establish any relationship. I agree with Gouvernor Morris of PA that slavery is an abomination before God (And that goes for the economic variety as well).

The ones who moved to Canada were the Empire Loyalists (not really Americans) who helped fight off the various attempts to annex Canada along with 80% of Mexico. (Manifest Destiny).

Will anyone get excited if I fly the Maple Leaf July 1st?

Last edited by merrylander; 06-29-2015 at 10:41 AM.