View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 12:06 PM

About 7 yrs ago the neighbor to my west sold his place and a new family moved in. It was spring and one Saturday when we saw them working out in the yard, the wife and I walked thru the patch of woods that separate our houses to welcome them to the neighborhood. Brought them a hanging basket of strawberries for their greenhouse.
I gave them my number. Told them if they ever got in a pinch I'd be more than happy to help.
They were nice enough, but the guy came off like "whatever buddy, can you go now", and so we did. I didn't blame the guy. I likes me some privacy too, and moving to a new place you're always a bit concerned your new neighbors might be a nightmare in one respect or another, so you work slowly toward making relationships.
About 3 months later I'm climbing in the truck to head to work and I can hear his starter trying to turn his engine over and not succeeding, so I drove out and around to his driveway. Hopped out with the cables and a "good morning" and got back a "oh it's ok, I got a charger in the garage". By then I've got both hoods open, so I said "no problem, this is quicker"
No thank you, no handshake, no fuck off, nothing.
About 6 weeks later we've got lots of snow, and he's in the ditch because after the plows come through you can't tell where the road ends and the ditch starts. You have to KNOW where the ditch is.
Anyway, same kinda deal- I jump out with the tow strap and hand him one end.
"Oh, I got it dude. My wife is coming with the car"
Didn't bother asking what the hell he thought a Taurus station wagon was gonna do, just pulled him out. This time he actually said thanks, but I knew I was done working toward a good neighbor on that side.

Last edited by Wasillaguy; 01-25-2015 at 12:09 PM.