View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 05:45 PM

Blinky Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
That was filmed in & around Asheville, NC, IIRC. As was the last Peter Sellers flick, "Being There". It was primarily filmed at Biltmore House in Asheville. If you're ever in Asheville, plan on staying an extra day & taking in the Biltmore House. Trust me, its worth it. We are not ENTIRELY about inbreeding, moonshine, souped-up cars, & being stupid down here, altho sometimes I wonder..."Thunder Road" was loosely based on the exploits of moonshiners who lived in & around Newport & Cosby, Tennessee- some of it was filmed there, too, but Asheville had better facilities back in those days, & the scenery is pretty much the same. They were pretty mean around Newport- There was one Beer Hall right as you turned to go to Gatlinburg & the Great Smoky Mountains national park-the Blinky Moon, that AVERAGED a murder a month. It got burned down when I was a little kid, but the walls & the sign were still standing for several years after that. It was the kinda joint where they'd check you at the door for a gun or a knife, if you didn't have one, they'd give you one...
Now at one time I considered myself to be a connoisseur of some of the finer drinking establishments (AKA beer joints) here in the Ozarks. The "Show Me Inn", Budweiser Inn", "Night after Night...Nitie Night", "Peckerwood Lounge", "Sugar Shack", "County Line and Gunny's Shack...both in Texas", among others.

It was entertaining, but I prefer to sit home now.

BTW Sandy, when I was young, I couldn't stand to go through a corner without leaving four black marks for at least 100 yds...and I never spilt my beer,
Chas