View Single Post
Old 09-19-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Maziere calls for limits and return of the rest of migrants to safe areas in their home regions.

http://news.yahoo.com/german-interio...165728460.html
It appears that what De Maziere's suggesting is not that any refugees currently in Europe be returned but that once a yet to be established limit is reached, those as yet unadmitted be returned to the Middle East and resettled in such safe countries as may exist.

This, of course, is at odds with the position of his boss, Angela Merkel, and would require a joint EU resolution to establish quotas, to implement assimilation and resettlement programs and to remove those refugees in excess of the allowed quota. I suspect that an agreement would never be reached, especially with countries like Britain, Hungary and Germany being so far apart on the issue.

One also has to wonder how these safe Middle Eastern countries would receive the news that Europe was intending to drop thousands of refugees on their doorsteps. Something tells me that it wouldn't go down well.

Frankly, I suspect De Maziere of practicing a bit of political gamesmanship. Perhaps he sees himself as a rival for leadership of the CDU.