View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Loyal Opposition

I'll avoid a debate on the correctness or incorrectness of the civil war (the terms I have grown up with). I would not doubt that there were atrocities committed by those on both sides of the war. One thing that I don't think history has hidden is that the war was fought in bloody savage conditions, certainly not the kind of conditions that would bring out the best in human nature. I do think the legal issues about the ability to secede have been determined and now stand as the law of the land.

You gentlemen have proved a point about the importance of free expression. Instead of saying that you don't care what anybody thinks about the confederate flag, you have provided some historical perspective to at least give me pause to think about the meaning of that symbol for students of southern history. Your educational comments countered some of the negative connotations of the flag.

In the long run, however, I think that we as a people need to get beyond historical divisions in this country and work to create more of a unified nation than a collection of factions and racial groups. We need to become more civil. In my mind, that includes being aware of how our conduct affects other people, and avoiding symbols that emphasize divisiveness. You however, have the right to completely disagree with me. In that case, I will need to find a way to more persuasively develop my position, but not to shut you up - unless you say something bad about my Sooners.

Regards,

D-Ray