View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Sahib View Post
It’s no joking matter. Look at the evidence. The overwhelming scientific evidence indicates that global warming is occurring at an accelerated rate caused by hydrocarbon emissions into the atmosphere, and that anthropogenic activity is a significant contributing factor. What we know is that the polar icecaps are melting as evidenced by satellite imagery and decrease in mass verified by scientific measurements in situ. We also know that climate change occurs naturally as evidenced by core samples of the earth's surface. However, what we are seeing now is abrupt climate change; which the evidence links to the growth of the earth’s human population and activities over the past 250 years; and, most dramatically, in the last half century. What we know is that there is only a thin layer of ozone that shields the earth from the sun’s rays; and that it is being depleted by industrial emissions into the atmosphere resulting in the rise of the ocean temperature that generates the earth’s climate conditions. Just a small change in ocean temperature will affect the thermohaline conveyor leading to more harsh winter weather, reduced soil moisture and more intense winds in regions that provide the significant portion of the world’s food production, and cause a dramatic decrease in the human carrying capacity of the earth’s environment. The true test of science is empirical evidence - not political correctness. We must stop playing politics with this issue, and resolve to do something about it.
I'll agree, it's not a joking matter. Now whether the situation is as dire as you point out is another matter.

I realize that there are very intelligent people who have devoted their lives to this matter. I also realize that there are very intelligent people who have an agenda.

If you feed flawed data into a computer you will get flawed results. And, to the best of my knowledge, nothing that is happening now hasn't happened before. Or worse.

Whether or not this is the end of times is a moot point. Green energy just doesn't work at this time. Unless we want to go back to living in caves, burning wood, and raising turnips with a stick, we are going to require carbon fuels.

And I've said before, make green energy dependable and affordable, and I'll be the greenest SOB on the planet. But that will take time.

It's happening, only not quick enough to suit you, is my estimation.

We're on the same page, we just have different timetables,

Chas