View Single Post
Old 02-24-2022, 12:03 AM
Admin

'Russia attacks Ukraine' Headline at the Post

"Russia on Thursday launched a military assault against Ukraine, President Biden said, with explosions occurring across a wide swath of the country, in what the president called an “unjustified attack” that signals “a premeditated war.”

The explosions could be heard in Kyiv, the Ukrainian capital, and Kharkiv, in the country’s northeast. A senior Ukrainian official said there were also explosions at the country’s largest airport, in Kyiv. Air raid sirens were going off in the capital, though the official said that they were intended to wake up residents and that there were no indications of incoming warplanes.

The attacks came as Russian President Vladimir Putin declared the launch of a “special military operation” to carry out the “demilitarization and denazification” of Ukraine and end eight years of war in the country’s east, where Kyiv government forces have been fighting Russian-backed separatists.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has declared martial law, a Ukrainian government official said Thursday. Biden and his Ukrainian counterpart were speaking on the phone just before midnight Eastern time, according to a White House official.

In a statement, Biden said that Putin “has chosen a premeditated war that will bring a catastrophic loss of life and human suffering.”

“Russia alone is responsible for the death and destruction this attack will bring, and the United States and its Allies and partners will respond in a united and decisive way,” he said. “The world will hold Russia accountable.”"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...raine-updates/

I don't think the Ukrainians are going to go quietly into the night to please Putin and his gang.

Tragic, unneeded and ultimately fruitless.