View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 09:50 PM

The big picture

This may be a little off subject, but here goes.

What we have just witnessed is the near collapse of the global financial markets. Our currency is based on debt. When the loans started going bad, the banks were unable to meet their obligations.

So the Treasury and the Fed created trillions of dollars out of thin air to shore up the banks and restore the money supply. Nothing to it, they do it all of the time, just not of this magnitude.

So, happy days are here again. The banks are solvent, there's plenty of money, but why ain't everybody happy.

For one, our crappy fiat dollar is based more on faith than anything. Everyone expected bad times, and closed their pocketbook. They are short on faith. Things start going downhill for there. We also have a consumer based economy, if people don't spend , the economy stops.

Let's not forget inflation. The more of something you have, the less it is worth. We've got plenty of money, but it's going to be worth less and less as time goes along. I don't think the Chinese are very happy about what's going on, they're holding 2 trillion of US debt, when inflation kicks in, they're going to wind up holding the bag.

As far as paying it back, well, there ain't enough tea in China. The only way it can be paid back is through inflation. The hidden tax.

I'm really not doing a very good job of explaining this. Click on the link in my thread The Creature from Jekyll Island. That fellow can explain things so that even I can understand.

Chas