View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
Here's some truth- about half of that delegation wants God erased from our government. Some, I'm sure, because they are atheist. Some, because they are Muslim and therefore don't buy in to the concept of religious tolerance. And some, because they truly believe it's wrong for our government to promote one faith over another.
Where's your evidence for this "truth"? By the way, I do happen to believe that "it's wrong for our government to promote one faith over another". So did the founders. That's why they put it in the Constitution.

Quote:
Personally, none of those arguments wash for me. I've spent my life pledging allegiance to a flag that represents "one nation under God".
And I'm old enough to have begun reciting the Pledge before Right Wing anti-Communists got "under God" added in. The Pledge of Allegiance was written without "under God" in 1892, officially adopted without "under God" in 1942 out of patriotic fervor in the early months of WWII. "Under God" was added in 1954 during the Cold War as a means of differentiating us from the "Godless communists". It has always been political and never really been religious.

Quote:
Worship whatever you want, or nothing at all, but this country was and is oriented to Biblical values.
Why, then, does the word God not appear anywhere in the Constitution?

Also, why did they put this in the Treaty of Tripoli in 1797, a treaty which was unanimously ratified by Congress and signed by President John Adams, one of the Nation's founders:

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen,—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Quote:
Obama wants to fundamentally change America. Well, it don't get much more fundamental than our Christian heritage.
Where's your evidence for that?

John