View Single Post
Old 05-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
Some interesting points. I am not sure they are all accurate, but well intended for sure.

I have to ask, is this a good thing that Toyota is moving to texas? I understand that it is for their bottom line. But what about the employees? When should a companies dedication to its employees trump increases to the bottom line? At some point "free market" no longer is free and the people become slaves to the businesses. I can't see when that is ever good. When a business has to move, that is one thing. To me it is a bit unethical to fire a plant full of people so that you can rehire a new group of employees at a lower wage. What it really amounts to is a company becoming a slave to the state.

I do think you are correct in the reasoning that Toyota did this for income tax, energy cost, real-estate costs, etc. So why not bring the employees with them to texas and share some of the savings with them. Thus they are more competitive and the employees win too? Just a thought
Toyota is moving for all those reasons. Employees are offered their jobs if they want to relocate. Their wage will stay the same, they get $10,000 to help in the cost of the move. No income tax in Texas so thats about a 20% raise. Home cost between the two locations is around 50% less. All cost of living expenses are less in Texas.

This is a huge win for employees if they are able to move. Even if they own a house here with a mortgage they can probably get out of debt.