View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
I think what scares me more about internet monitoring is that the signal/noise ratio is too low. It's a recipe for roid rage.

Thread bump.

What are each of us doing to make good of big data? I have more data from Facebook than I can digest. It's like overhearing couples fighting via cordless phones, but worse. At least with cordless phones I was hearing things that were happening around my house. Now I am hearing things that are happening around the nation.

All I know is that none of them are talking about art. Some of them are talking about architecture. Case in point regarding subdivisions.

When I moved to the country I was pissed off that a subdivision was being built nearby. That subdivision had a mass of mailboxes at its entrance. The US Postal Service could be efficient and only have to stop once to service that subdivision. We all want efficiency. Right?

Wrong. Sometimes we need human contact. We need to talk to the postal worker. We need to feel part of something bigger and more personable than post office boxes. We need to cry to someone and yell out loud, goddamnit I reached my corporate goal and this still is not what life is about! That is hard shit to overhear as a ham radio operator.

Case in point. When the subdivision went up next door I listened to a cordless phone conversation. A new homeowner was frustrated that she moved to the country but still did not have a mailbox on her house. She had to walk to the community mailbox area.

That subdivision, from a perspective of communication bandwidth, was a trailer park. None of us like trailer trash. Not tenants, not postal workers. How does big data prevent trailer trash? I'm not seeing it.