View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
Of course in those days I also had no problem with watching an animal struggle on the end of a line with a barbed hook in it's head.
Boy! Memories!

The last time I went fishing.... the LAST time....., we were fishing for stripers in the York River in Maine. The bait we were using was live elvers.

As I sat in the boat casting and recasting, all the while torturing this dying animal by repeatedly slamming it into the surface of the water, the magnitude of the obscenity I was perpetrating slapped me upside the head. It completely put me off fishing for the rest of my life.

A similar episode occurred some yeas later. A friend who had a lot of whippets and a few goats found himself with a lot of whippets and a lot of goats.

He asked me to come by and off a couple of goats so that he could butcher them for dog food. So I went over to his place and began walking up to these innocent creatures and plugging them between the eyes. Turned out to be 8 or 9 goats, including one tiny little kid bleating for its mother (whom I had just killed).

I sold my one remaining gun the next day.