View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 07:10 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanKardon View Post
Where is the contradiction, Sir? I do not like her as a person. That is right. But this has nothing to do with the fact that I agree with some of her desicions as a politician in the last years.

Finnbow you speak German - so werde ich es Ihnen nochmals mit Worten meiner eigenen Sprache erklären. Auf der einen Seite steht das was sie tut, als Politikerin, auf der anderen Seite das wie sie es tut, als Mensch. Beides ist eng miteinander verbunden, dennoch sind es unterschiedliche Dinge, verstehen Sie was ich meine?
I do indeed. Her actions vis-ā-vis the Syrian refugees are both a political and a humanitarian act. While it's right and just to praise the humanity of her decision, the political and social consequences of the decision, in a democratic society, are not immune to criticism. In other words, she may have done the wrong thing for the right reasons.

I'm impressed with Frau Merkel's humanity and steadfastness, but that doesn't mean that her decision won't have profound and negative consequences for her country. Similarly, I admire Obama's humanity, but that doesn't preclude criticizing some of his past decisions.