View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
For sure, the "average" American knows more about America than the average Brit or German (and vice versa, of course).

OTOH, the average Brit or German knows more about America than the average American knows about either of those countries and knows more about world history/current affairs than the average American.

For a modern, First World country, America is about as insular as it gets (though Britain ain't far behind in this area). Heck, the guy who impresses me most with his knowledge of American history on this forum is a Canuck.
Agreed, they pay greater attention (are England and Germany still countries? :headsmack: ).

I suppose what I mean is even most of the smarter ones don't (and can hardly be expected to) understand American culture, and how it effects, heck, everything So their view of us is still skewed, even if they know what we're doing. Plus if they want to be 'on top', as it were, they'd better do something different, if you know what I mean. It's easy to armchair quarterback. Germany's bruhaha over accepting a gitmo detainee is a good example.

Agreed, our friend from the north sure puts the Red Green stereotype to the test

Curious Rob, what do you think of that show?

Pete