View Single Post
Old 12-23-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigElCat View Post
Hmmm.

How do I think that would work ?

I don't 'see' how it possibly could work. Assume that all things that not only I, but all other human minds can imagine are actually real. Even situations that are mutually exclusive ? That Princess Stephanie is actually sitting on my lap right now ? No offense intended, but that sounds 'stupid' to me.

How do you explain my belief in the Christian concept of God ?

Many people claim that it is a story fabricated by human minds, a 'psychological construct'. A fairy tell, or whatever. And affirmations are delusion, or mass hysteria. That I can understand (and disagree with).

Do you think you have a truly open mind, devoid of any belief system ?
Absolutely right. It would not work and it is stupid.

That is why I defend proceeding based on evidence, that something does not exist until it is shown to be. I was responding to this statement by you: "All replies so far are based on the (imho) erroneous assumption that 'God' is a psychological construct of the human mind, rather than reality." I don't assume that God is a psychological construct. To arrive at that conclusion would require a study of the human mind and an anthropological review of religions across many cultures. That is proceeding based on evidence and reasoning, not by assumption.

I think that it is human nature - we are born with curious, creative minds - to seek to explain the world. In part it is how we have survived by using our brain. Religion was our first attempt at cosmology, meteorology, philosophy, and other disciplines. Gradually we replaced religious explanations with scientific ones, and continue to.

I don't know why you believe in the Christian God. You tell me. Honestly, I'm not even sure what that means or why it's important to Christians. I like what Lincoln Steffens said, "The doctrine of Jesus is the most revolutionary propaganda I have ever encountered." I can recognize and accept the wisdom in the teachings attributed to Jesus without the threat of hell or the promise of salvation. After all, I am a humanist.

I don't think anyone has a completely open mind, devoid of assumptions and beliefs about the world. All I can do is strive constantly to evaluate why I think something so as to better understand and compensate for any assumptions and other mental filters I'm applying. I have an open mind insofar as I am willing to listen to and consider others' ideas, even if they seem crazy at first glance.