View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretinus View Post
My father made quite a few sacrifices for us kids when we were growing up, including making time for important things.

Seems to me we're starting to think life should be easier than it actually is.

Most board meetings are held at night, if you can't attend, you can still voice your input in a variety of ways, letters, phone calls, email?

On the other hand I see a lot of waste in our schools trying to pay for things that have nothing to do with sound core curriculum and a lot of over paid administrators who seem to be more interested in their career climb than doing what they were hired to do.

Our whole system of education is a bloated, out dated and out moded pig and our colleges are becoming political indoctrination centers.
Well if you leave the office at 7:00 or 7:30, spend an interesting commute of 1 to 1.5 hours - not uncommon around these parts, you might attend the meeting as long as they hold it at 9:00 or later. If you don't get to the meeting what exactly are you going to say in your letters or emails?

No doubt there are efficiencies to be made in the system but given the way things are down here I don't expect significant changes. When I look at the ballot in November and I see the candidate's (for the school board) political affiliation listed I just shake my head, are you people totally insane?

Both of my Senators know me, they should as they hear from me often enough. I never used to write to my Congressman until a Democrat won the seat.

BTW since I was born in 1930 tell me about parental sacrifice, at least it taught me that I was the one in charge of my life, been out of work a few times since arriving, never asked for unemployment, never took a dime from anyone.

Last edited by merrylander; 05-14-2009 at 02:12 PM.