Thread: Nfl ?
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Basically a mandatory loyalty oath administered to other folks' kids that they don't understand. I'm not crazy about this, but see one vital function of a public education a common grounding in National civics and culture.
Very true.
No matter what level history is taught at (k-12, college, grad school, etc) there is always a tendency to show progression from bad (slavery, bad working conditions, Jim Crow) to better (abolition of slavery, 8-hour day, Voting Rights Act). Or was. In school we learned that government could change things for the better, that there is something good in government. That there is goodness in our nation. Or at least we try to be good.

Yeah a white-washed view. In college you learn the real story and how there is a negative underside to American history. But in general there is progressive belief in how our government is more or less good.

Until now. There is general disdain for the establishment, and Trump and others are knocking down the idea that a strong, forward looking government is good for America. I don't why people who supposedly hate the swamp and big government have a dislike of people who don't want to pledge allegiance to America. To me America is the Constitution flawed that it is.

I mean this clown has decimated the State Department and is upset about a quarterback kneeling during the national anthem.