View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
Very impressive!
Thank you. I am not a native Arkansan but I have learned things from the old timers here. One was my stepfather who's father was a "country vet" and his mother who was the best Southern cook and she sure could cure ham and bacon. She died at the age of 99 in the same house she was born in. My stepfather taught me how to plow with a mule and how to slaughter and dress larger domestic animals He also taught me how to field dress deer to cut up later. Smaller animals like chickens and rabbits were simply a matter of watching my grandmother do the deed.

Willy our next farm neighbor in Goshen, AR taught me how to build log cabins. He was originally from the next county over and was actually still building log cabins in 1977. Not the fancy ones just the real deal. We did use chain saws but most of the work was done by hand. I helped him every chance I got.

I am required to stay in the AT&T area I service. Fortunately that encompasses thousands of acres of prime Ozark woodland most in the Boston Mountains and the foothills. We were looking for property before Janet's mother fell ill two months ago. She is doing much better and Janet may return home soon. (fingers crossed) The weekly 300 mile weekend drives are beginning to get to me. I have to do it in my 1993 Toyota extended cab 4WD pickup. Not much fun. I am looking for a nice 300D Mercedes it is one of the few cars that can stand up to Ozark dirt roads and is a damned nice ride on the Interstate.