Old 05-31-2022, 01:57 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
A ban on gun ownership by civilians.

Well you asked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
But the discussion of comparative firearms homicide rates, has always been amongst first world countries...y'know countries like the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, the UK, France, Germany, Switzerland, and the Scandinavian countries to name a few. Democracies...not dictatorships.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Since you've chosen to get so specific:
1. Raise purchase age to 21 (he was 18 as was the kid in Buffalo).
2. Red flag law (he showed self-destructive and violent signs like self-mutilation).
3. Forbid autoloading firearms and limit magazine capacity to 5 rounds (federal law already restricts magazine capacity to 3 rounds to hunt migratory game birds (ducks, geese, doves and they're harder to hit than humans)).
4. In keeping with strict conservative constitutional originalism, restrict unlimited firearms access to flintlocks only (I'm joking here, but conservatives always insist adamantly upon originalism).

Sorry if it seems I just do drive-by posts. My life is just so busy.

I do appreciate the candor guys. I will return the courtesy. It mostly says, the guns rights folks are right about gun regulations being a slippery slope to a ban.

Ike I get the European thing. They are very different though, mostly much smaller, more like our states. Also, I don't have the time to research, but a few years ago I did, and if you take out suicides the numbers are much, much closer per capita. Take out our very bad neighborhoods and your chances of being shot in the US is very very low.

I looked online - according to Pew, gun deaths in the us were at 47,xxx near the end of Dec 2021, 54% due to suicide. By comparison car crash deaths in 2021 were 42,xxx.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...hs-in-the-u-s/

Finn I doubt our august Founders would've wanted our minutemen to have outdated weapons! The 18 to 21 thing, maybe it's time to consider raising the age of self determination to 21. It might hurt the military though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
It can be logically argued that the original intent of the second amendment was defense and preservation of slavery and white supremacy, as a sop to get Southern states to sign .....
Pio that's a real stretch. I'm thinking we need to teach more history in school.

Background: I 'accidentally' own 3 guns (inherited)(22 revolver, little 28 auto and a 38 auto) and am considering 3 more (45 1911, pump shotgun and AR15, with the AR currently unlikely). Since Ohio passed their new no-permit needed CC law I've been considering putting the little 28 in my drivers door pocket (hidden of course) - I do go into some very bad neighborhoods for work. I will never register these guns.

For the record I grew up learning gun safety, thanks Dad. Considering the reality of the vast number of guns in the US I rec this to everyone, heck the basics should be taught in school, young.

I've got to ask - if ANY of you had a gun, and the opportunity, wouldn't you have tried taking the shooter out? Assuming you had a clear shot.

Since it's been brought up in this thread, I'm a conservative. Shocking I know I couldn't bring myself to vote for the arrogant jackass or the arrogant witch so I did something new - I tossed my vote to a write in. 'Why Not Zoidberg' for Pres and 'Bender B. Rodriguez' for VP.

This just in- they didn't win. Heck they were both foreign nationals. How low we have fallen.