View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
The governor of Kansas and the Republican legislature have passed a tax plan that makes almost all business income exempt from taxation, but leaves the taxes on wages in place. It takes a huge chunk out of the state budget. The theory is that the lost tax revenue will be made up when the low taxes induce enough businesses to relocate to Kansas. The tax cut comes at a time when the state is already struggling to meet its obligations, and it will result in drastic cuts in among other things, education. As far as I am concerned, that is counter-productive, at least here in Johnson County. One way JC has been able to compete for businesses is by having a top-flight public school system. The cuts put that advantage at risk.

Beyond the practical objection to the plan, it seems to me to be extremely unbalanced against the working folks. Wages earners will now carry a significantly higher burden of funding the state's obligation, while the "job creators" get a free ride. I suppose we will see if the plan actually works or not, because the primaries put more tea party types into the general election (removing the more moderate republicans), so it is likely that the plan will remain in place.

BTW, Whell, I should mention that I appreciate the effort at maintaining the tone of this thread (particularly after I gave you a little poke in the welcome thread ).

Regards,

D-Ray
Beyond the philosophical objections, what have been the results of the legislation?

Yes, I saw that poke. I was honored.