View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Loyal Opposition

Social Principles

When I did my introductory post here, one of the things that I said was important to me was showing that Christianity does not belong to the right wing of political parties. The United Methodist Church has developed over the years a statement of Social Principles. Here is my favorite:
Work and Leisure. Every person has the right to a job at a living wage. When the private sector cannot or does not provide jobs for all who seek and need them, it is the responsibility of government to provide for the creation of such jobs. We support social measures that ensure the physical and mental safety of workers, that provide for the equitable division of products and services, and that encourage an increasing freedom in the way individuals may use their leisure time. We recognize the opportunity leisure provides for creative contributions to society and encourage methods that allow workers additional blocks of discretionary time. We support educational, cultural, and recreational outlets that enhance the use of such time. We believe persons come before profits. We deplore the selfish spirit that often pervades our economic life. We support policies that encourage the sharing of ideas in the workplace, cooperative and collective work arrangements. We Support rights of workers to refuse to work in situations that endanger health and/or life without jeopardy to their jobs. We support policies that would reverse increasing concentration of business and industry into monopolies.
If you want to see more of the Social Principles, look here.

Regards,

D-Ray