View Single Post
Old 06-25-2022, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noogies View Post
Kind of getting away from the original premise of the thread, folks. Roe v. Wade, states rights, women's rights, right to life are all well-worn topics for debate here and elsewhere. Done to death. I specifically wanted to know whether anybody thought the SCOTUS decision today might give a back-handed boost to the Dems in the mid-terms or are they still screwed?
I think it will, in the end, hurt the dems. The reason is simple but at least twofold. First, the population in general is NOT pro-choice, at least according to polls. That is, more people than not are against "abortion on demand at any and all stages of pregnancy".

Second, as this is discussed, more and more people will reach the knowledge level to understand that this is really not about making abortion legal or illegal, but about getting the federal government out of it and giving it back to the states. This one is huge, because now politicians running for office in each state will have to take a stand, LOCALLY, on any abortion law. And this is where the first issue above will bite them.

However, that second one will help democrats in states like California and NY, but hurt them in the red states and, of significant importance, in the more purple states.

All IMO, of course. At least politics became more local with this decision - as it should be. Us Kentuckians don't like Schumer having much of a say in our politics here just as Californians don't like Rand Paul having much say in their politics.

Edit: There was also a lot of talk on the analysis shows yesterday about this meaning you can either try to change the laws in your own state or, if that is fruitless, move to one that aligns with your perspective. That one hits me close to home because that is exactly what I did. As my state (WA) moved farther and farther left in the 46 years I lived there, I felt more and more like a stranger, and I left for rural Kentucky in 2011. I've been embraced by the local people. We have a LOT more in common. I love it.

Last edited by Not Insane; 06-25-2022 at 07:11 AM.