Thread: Gary McKinnon.
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Put him in jail? Hell, somebody outta put him to work...sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Chas
That's the point I was making. If a relatively benign 'nerd' can do what he did, how easy would it be for a professional with bad intent to get deep into the system? I'm not just thinking about foreign terrorists, you have a fair number of home grown obsessives with grudges against the IRS, Military, hell any organization you like is a potential target. Like you say, he could be teaching people how to block access, not locked up.

Quote Grumpy: I think your making this out to seem like anyone could easily hack these computers. Not so. This person is obviously computer savvy. Should he be extradited and tried ? I don't know but I can tell you he is very dangerous around computers and that privilege should be revoked at the very least.

I take your point about him being dangerous around computers but if he was tried in the U.K., given a short term prison term then released, the ease with which you can buy PCs and the number of High Street internet cafes plus access to computers in most libraries would in practice make it very difficult to keep him away from them. I've maybe overstated how easy it was for him to do what he did, but the fact he could do it at all shows the sites he got into were vulnerable. Instead of leaving messages, someone who wanted to could have done a great deal of damage.