View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 11:13 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post

There are a lot of bogus Jefferson quotes out there. Since Jefferson, more than any other of our founders, is as close to being a "prophet" of American democracy as we have, many people have tried to co-opt his name and his reputation to serve their own ends. To do this they have attributed to him quotes made by others (like yours) or just simply made them up out of whole cloth.

John
From your link

The following statement, or variations thereof, is often attributed to Thomas Jefferson:

"A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have...."

We have never found such a statement in Jefferson's writings. AS FAR AS WE KNOW....

I agree with you. Many quotes by political leaders have been used and abused by many. A professor of mine gave a lecture years ago about Jefferson and a handbook he distributed contained Jefferson quotes.

Not all of Jeffersons writings have been documented. As my link describes.

What we have here is a difference of opinion. The quote will stand as my signature with a minor adjustment... until such time as I am able to find my handbook with perhaps more information.

I'm a woman in here to express my opinions as everyone else.

Last edited by painter; 10-06-2012 at 11:35 AM.