Thread: WWII question
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2014, 06:11 AM
Resident octogenarian

He was elected partly because Clemanceau had demanded such reparations that it, along with the depression destroyed the German economy. Ask any stamp collector about the German stamps of the period, surcrged with astonomical numbers. You could get your wages in a wheelbarrow and by the time you got to market it would barely buy a loaf of bread. My neighbour back in quebec told me how he and his buddies worked on a farm just for the food.

America was looking inward and in Britain no one wanted war and there were even some who thought the destruction of the Jews was a good thing. And we got war only because Britain (and Near as I recall France) had a pact with Poland.

Because France was on good terms withBelgium the Maginot line ended at the France Belgium border so they simply swept around it.

In those days military intelligence was an oxymoron hence Dieppe and the loss of so many Canadians. It was supposed to be a sandy beach instead theit tanks faced a pebbled beach and a three foot seawall and so they were slaughtered.

All in all it was a bloody mess and we only won by destroying tthe factories Ruhr valley dam and cutting off fuel supplies.