View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Correct. Therefore, I believe that the phrase "In God We Trust" has become a "cultural icon", just like the Christmas tree. Therefore, there should be no objection to Georgia wishing to imprint a cultural icon on its license plates. If someone objects the the cultural icon on their license plate, why should tax payers be forced to foot the bill to cover up the icon? Let the individual who objects pay to cover it up.
It is not a "cultural icon", it is a religious statement. If you want "In God We Trust" on your plates, buy a Sharpie and scrawl it on there. I won't complain, because it didn't cost me anything. Write anything you want on your plates for all I care. "Career Corporate Stooge", might be a good one for Republicans.

If you want to erect a twenty ton granite Ten Commandments tablet on your own property, at your own expense, by all means---make it happen.

It's when you use public facilities and public money to advance your religious views, or the lack thereof as the case may be, that a line, (Oh, excuse me. I believe the historic term is "Wall".) is crossed.

Dave