View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
I disagree a little here John although your approach is indeed the way to analysis this. I would suggest that our hard wiring would indeed be attracted to our tribe becoming one. The whole idea is that a group is stronger than the individual and therefore provides safety. Hence one tribe of all human would provide (in theory) the end of war (threat to safety).
I see our hard wiring leading us to a one world government. The biggest obstacle are the powerful who will vie for control against one another.
Tribalism isn't inclusive. It's exclusive, a way of separating us from, them - my tribe from those other tribes out there.

If this weren't so tribal organization would never have happened. Ironically perhaps, we organized into bands, tribes, etc. as a way to increase our ability (as individuals) to survive and compete in the environment with other humans. Organizing into collective groups was a way to separate us from our species as a whole. Tribal societies cooperate with some, usually those with whom we share bonds of extended kinship, as a way to compete with other tribes for control of resources.

I read an interesting book years and years ago titled "Yanomamo: The Fierce People" by Napoleon Chagnon. Really good book about a tribe in the Amazon rainforest. It's a brilliant examination of primitive tribal culture.

A Wikipedia link to "Yanomamo":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ya%CC%A7nomam%C3%B6

John