View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 04:29 PM

[QUOTE=Brett A;185]Will the current hybrid technology save the industry? I'm pretty sure not. As you point out Grumpy, too many Americans want to drive huge, inefficient hulks.

I think in the long range, transportation will be fueled by something other than oil (not even hybrid w/gas). But I don't think it will happen soon enough to affect the current situation for the auto industry. Now is the time for R&D which is a huge economic drain that the industry can't afford with its current income (losses).

OK, but there have been persistent rumors for decades that the major car makers have quietly done the R&D, then sat on the results until the time was right. Paranoia? Maybe. Seems sometimes the less people know the louder they shout but we live in interesting times. Can't afford with its current income (losses). I think now could be very much the right time. Your car manufacturers have got more government backing (taxpayers money) than ever before. Doesn't this give your government all the leverage it needs? How efficient could hybrid cars be if they went into real mass production? Refined oil is a great fuel. For the amount of energy you get from it it's light, dense, portable, doesn't have to be stored under pressure and until recently, very cheap. You guys have the same problem that we have; you used to be self sufficient in oil, but now have to import it. The future? Accepting that "too many Americans want to drive huge, inefficient hulks", President Obama made an interesting statement a few days ago. He expects that within the next five years, US car makers will be mass producing cars giving 150 mpg. Is this the answer? Instead of trying to prise you guys out of your "huge inefficient hulks", would it be possible to make them fuel efficient without taking the fun away?