View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 04:28 AM

Time and distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundhound View Post
if we stole the technology for digital audio from the aliens, they can have it back!
You know what really fascinates me about all this? It's not the lizard men or David Eyke. It's the faint possibility that some country might have got hold of bits of genuine alien technology, and understood it just enough to be able to use some of it.

UFOs. Forget initials; until it's been identified every UFO is an Unidentified Flying Object. Some turn out to be weather balloons, test flights of normally developed aircraft, or just plain mis-observation but it's the things reported by credible witnesses; people who know the ridicule they'll face that keeps me thinking.

I can't help thinking that whatever 'they' can do, we can eventually do; at least if we don't kill ourselves first. But what if whoever 'they' are are like us; using technology found by accident. How far back along the line could "we don't know how it works but it does" stretch?

The fascinating thing is that at source, there must be a race of intelligent beings who have either cracked the basic blocks that appear to prevent anything traveling faster than light, or who are so incredibly long lived that deep space travel at sub light speed is no problem for them.