View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
Fact and reason are the poison pills of religion, because the ignorance and denial of them is the very foundation of such lines of thinking. Without the childhood indoctrination and fear mongering practices of religions, they would have been seen through and forgotten centuries ago. It is a source of endless amazement to me that the majority of our species fails to see through such a transparent farce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I have been fortunate to have been exposed to the perspective of a Greek scholar in understanding the Christian scriptures. Much of that perspective puts into question how literal an actual interpretation is followed by those who claim to literally believe in everything said in the Bible....
...I recognize that faith and reason are incompatible in many ways - indeed, faith is belief in something that cannot be proved. Nevertheless, I also recognize (believe?) that spirituality is part of life. The feeling I had when I visited the John Street Church might be explained as a chemical or physiological process, but to me, it seemed like a religious experience.

On the other hand, another matter that rests deeply within my belief system is the absolute necessity for separation of church and state.

Regards,

D-Ray
Well done, gentlemen. Deep in my heart and mind (and if I take the time to think about it), I pretty much believe as Neophyte does. I don't think deeply about religion in a personal way, but have a strong interest in religion's influence on history, culture, and contemporary politics.

I also believe that if man had no religion he'd invent one and that most people have their faith due to circumstance of birth. I like to think I have religious tolerance, but must admit that I don't like the Evangelical movement's influence in American politics.

Would we be better off as a nation or a world without religion? I have mixed feelings on this one.