View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I have been fortunate to have been exposed to the perspective of a Greek scholar in understanding the Christian scriptures. Much of that perspective puts into question how literal an actual interpretation is followed by those who claim to literally believe in everything said in the Bible.

I have also studied the history of the denomination in which I was raised - Methodism. The founder of Methodism, John Wesley, did not intend to start a new church. He wanted to reform the Church of England. The history of the Methodist Church in America is intertwined with the history of America's revolution. Part of my research into the history of the Methodist Church included a visit to the John Street Church in New York City, the first Methodist church in America. That actually made it the first Methodist Church, as the Methodists in England considered themselves reformers in the Church of England.

The thing that, IMHO, sets Methodism apart from other traditional denominations is that reason is an important component of the theology. I recognize that faith and reason are incompatible in many ways - indeed, faith is belief in something that cannot be proved. Nevertheless, I also recognize (believe?) that spirituality is part of life. The feeling I had when I visited the John Street Church might be explained as a chemical or physiological process, but to me, it seemed like a religious experience.

On the other hand, another matter that rests deeply within my belief system is the absolute necessity for separation of church and state.

Regards,

D-Ray
Interesting D-Ray,

But have you looked into the founding of The Church of England, and why it was founded. Or the reasons that the Methodists Church wanted to reform the Church of England ? And why the Methodist Church of England feels separate from the Methodist Church here in America ?

And due to the Church of England having broken off from the Catholic Church, have you looked into Origin of the Catholic Church and Christianity itself ?

Inquiring minds ?

Bill

Last edited by Big_Bill; 01-03-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: my mind is faster than my fingers :)