View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 07:00 AM
Resident octogenarian

In spite of the Ten Commandments greed has not disappeared from the human equation, nor do I expect it to do so. The concept of the so-called 'free market' never took that into consideration and so we have recessions/depressions on a periodic basis.

In one of the Washington Post blogs there were a couple of real economic geni (is that plural of genius?) who spoke of the "market" as if it was some sort of non-human intelligence. I have always been rather suspicious when people refer to the 'science' of economics as I tend to equate it with tea leaf reading.

When all is said and done we are the only industrialized nation (the bit that has not been shipped overseas) that does not ensure that all its citizens have access to health care. The Conservative party when it was the government of Canada instituted the Single Payer plan, not the Liberals nor the Socilaists, the Conservative Party. As near as I recall it was for the reasons I have written of, because it recognized that the people were the country's greatest natural resource, and that having them running on all eight cylinders was in the country's best interest.