View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Area Man

This from Wikipedia, citing "The American Civil War" as a referrence.

"Lee privately ridiculed the Confederacy in letters in early 1861, denouncing secession as "revolution" and a betrayal of the efforts of the founders. Writing to his son William Fitzhugh, Lee stated,"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than a dissolution of the Union." The commanding general of the Union Army, Winfield Scott, told Lincoln he wanted Lee for a top command. Lee accepted a promotion to colonel on March 28.[60] Lee had earlier been asked by one of his lieutenants if he intended to fight for the Confederacy or the Union, to which he replied, "I shall never bear arms against the Union, but it may be necessary for me to carry a musket in the defense of my native state, Virginia, in which case I shall not prove recreant to my duty."[61] Meanwhile, Lee ignored an offer of command from the CSA. After Lincoln's call for troops to put down the rebellion, it was obvious that Virginia would quickly secede. So Lee turned down an April 18 offer to become a major general in the U.S. Army, resigned on April 20 and took up command of the Virginia state forces on April 23."

Also, in reading Lees Letters I get the impression that he felt torn between his love of country, the United States of America, and his duty, in his words "to defend Hearth and Home".

I guess I can respect that, even though I have no respect at all for the Confederate cause.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 01-15-2011 at 08:52 PM.