View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Admin

“As it stands right now, we don’t know that President Pugh has committed any crimes,” Jenkins said. “It would be premature and inappropriate at this point (to elect a new president).”
In his decision to deny Pugh’s leave, Orr’s spokesman, Bill Nowling, says the City Charter does not cover medical leave for elected officials and the state’s emergency manager law — Public Act 436 — does not empower Orr to grant one.
The council on Thursday asked its legal and policy staffers how it should proceed when Orr’s order terminating Pugh’s pay, benefits and powers is released. They are also seeking clarification on the federal Family and Medical Leave Act.
“How do we move forward if in fact an executive order has been reached,” member Brenda Jones asked at the table Thursday. “I don’t wish to break the law and be sued. If we move forward to choose a president and should not be doing so, I would also feel liable as a councilman ... that’s why I’m asking for that opinion.”

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2XRkARNLH