View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
This was a "Perfect Storm"...My dad & uncle tried hard to talk her into putting her money into things that the tax man wouldn't eat up quite so badly, but she was an EXTREMELY suspicious type, & wouldn't hear of it. She & my granfather lost everything-not that they had that much-in '29, & I think they never trusted banks, stockbrokers, etc after that. She & Fritz never really enjoyed any of their wealth, they had the mindset all their lives that they were one step away from being in "The Poorhouse", & the only ones that got any benefit from their penurious ways was the IRS. She gave Fritz a sandwich to eat at work every day,wrapped up in tinfoil, which he was supposed to flatten out, carefully fold up, & take back home so she could use again the next day...I'd say, "Grandaddy, let me go clean that up for you..." & I'd take it & toss it, & make up some story about how I'd torn it up or something. Got more than one Arse-Eatin' over Wasting that Tinfoil...
Seems to be two schools of thought on this, the live rich and die poor crowd, or the you can never have enough stock in the pantry crowd.

I pretty much fall into the stock in the pantry crowd. Don't get me wrong, if I want to do something, I do it. But the older I get, the more my idea of a good time is taking a nap in the afternoon.

And being debt free with money in the bank makes that nap not only possible, but more enjoyable. Didn't live through the depression, but I've been dirt poor, in debt, with maybe 10 bucks to my name. Boo and hiss!!!

Now the thoughts of the gubbmitt coming along and stealing what I have left, provided I don't hire an accountant and a lawyer to set things up right makes my blood boil.

As I've grown to understand, we don't have a justice system, we have a legal system...do not confuse the two.

Chas