Thread: GM payback
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Area Man

Talked to my brother John yesterday. He is a retired GM engineer. It seems that despite the good news, he and all salaried retirees but top echelon execs (Of course), have lost their pensions and retiree health benefits. His pension now comes from PBGC and he pays a percentage (Didn't say what % that is.) of his health bennies, the rest is subsidized by---the IRS.

So, guess what? Despite the good news, GM did manage to dump it's salaried pensioners off on the taxpayer after all.

Now, my Brother Ed, who is a retired Union guy still gets his pension and health benefits, but they are no longer paid by GM. The UAW has been forced, by the federal government, to pick up that tab. It is not known how long the UAW can bear this financial burden before they go broke. Or what will happen when that occurs. My guess is that all of the retired hourly guys will end up on the public dole as well.

The net effect is that the company has shed all retirement obligations for everyone except executive level employees. And that the government has helped them pretty much crush the UAW.

I tried to explain this to a wing-nut coworker today, and he said; "Bullshit. A guy on Limbaughs show said those fuckers are trying to get a 13% increase this year and we're paying for it."

Where does it end? (The "it" being the absolute rubbish being spewed by people like Limbaugh, BTW.)

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 04-23-2010 at 12:02 AM.