View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Other than static display of collectables, target and skeet shooting, what else are they used for?

And, our death rate from firearms is unacceptable, is it not?

Regards,
Dave
Two questions and two answers.

First, have you ever been to a convention that interests you? Maybe star trek, or rocks and gems or audio gear? Why did you go? You could have just as easily bought what ever you went for over the internet or craigslist or some venue as such. You went because of the socail aspect and fun. In most of the rural communinites that I have lived, have friends, etc, guns are a huge social aspect. Pulling out a new firearm and showing it to the friends, going out and shooting it, and sitting around the dinner table talking about it are huge social times in some communities. It has nothing to do with the firearm, it is the social get together and community which surrounds it. Think of it as baseball. Why do we watch or participate in that. I mean some idiot hit a round leather thing with a wooden stick - what possible useful purpose is there in that??

Second question, is the death rate from guns acceptable? No death rate that can be avoided is acceptable? Weather it be guns, automobiles, or pipe wrenches. If I believed for even a second that rules and laws around guns would stop this madness, I would be the first in law to sign up. I believe in all my heart and being that it will not work at all. Afterall, those who went to do these tragedies obviously had no regard for the lay anyway. Right?

Mark

EDIT: BTW - you listed three other things guns are used for besides killing too. One more, investment purposes. I know many people who buy guns with the purpose of financial investment. These are one of the few assest you can own that will actually increase in value with time.

Last edited by JCricket; 12-15-2012 at 06:48 PM.